Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Alzheimer's Association Annual Report

Here in northern Michigan we are one piece of a much larger pie. The National Alzheimer's Association released it's Annual Report for 2009. There is a lot of good stuff in this report, it's worth the read and you can find it here.

Besides the usual "what happened in 2009" stuff, the report also shows how efficiently the organization is using the money you have given. To be clear, 70% of what you donate to our local offices stays right here in northern Michigan to continue to assist and educate families in our area. The other 30% is sent on to the national organization. This is how we are all helping to find the cure.

We hope that 2010 will bring the medical break-through we're all working towards!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cold Weather is Here

It's time to think about cold weather safety for our seniors. Older adults can lose body heat fast. Thinking ahead can stop problems before they happen. Here are some easy things you can do.


1) Set thermostats at 68 degrees or higher (shut off unused rooms to save on the heat bill)
2) Keep throws or blankets handy, on the back of chairs and the couch
3) Wear layers of clothing, even inside, a t-shirt or long johns will help
4) Wear slippers or shoes


1) Wear a hat and a scarf, we lose a lot of body heat from our head and neck areas
2) Wear layers of clothing for more insulation
3) Avoid going out on very windy days if possible

Signs of Hypothermia:

1) Cold hands and feet
2) Puffy or swollen face
3) Pale skin
4) Shivering (but if severe, there may be no shivering)
5) Slow or slurred speech
6) Acting sleepy
7) Being angry or confused

If you suspect someone of hypothermia, call 911 right away. Keep in touch with elderly loved ones. With a little vigilance we can avoid problems this winter.